Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A brief introduction

This is a short event blog covering my journey to Chile in June 2006 as part of the American University Washington College of Law Summer Law Program In Chile. In it I will discuss the preparation, events, impressions and minutia of my sojourn.

But first a brief introduction.
Born to a hoosier navy officer and a chilean debutante, my childhood was an endless stream of changing settings and instability as we traveled from navy base to navy base. My Dad had the stubborn notion that I would not be taught spanish, or much else about Chilean culture. Which really didn't prepare me for a year and half I spent in Chile as a teenager.

I have returned to Chile a few times since then, but always to visit with family and do little else. In a way I feel like a native there and it makes it difficult to be detached like a tourist.

So this trip I have two goals beyond passing my law school courses: 1.) I want to reconnect with my family tree and archive the memories and experiences of los viejos. and 2.) Finally I want to be a "tourist" in Chile and integrate what I don't know about Chilean culture into my fragmented identity.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting! When in June will you be there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home